Last Updated on Samuel Franklinby
Tarkov How To Level Vitality Skill (2021)
Many players find themselves wondering how to level the vitality skill in Tarkov as it can often be an early to mid wipe show stopper for players blocking their ability to finish Jaeger’s survivalist path quest line and advance their hideout.
Depending on your Tarkov survivor playstyle and skill level this can be an extremely difficult Tarkov skill to level naturally over time without making it a priority in your raids. With this vitality skill information, tips and guide though you’ll be well positioned to level this up efficiently to continue your Escape From Tarkov progress.
As with all physical skills levelling in Tarkov you’ll want to use the FP-100 filter absorber in your air filtering unit if unlocked in the hideout and be aware of the exhaustion mechanic which limits the progress you can make per raid.
What is Vitality Needed For in Tarkov?
Vitality in Tarkov is used for the following:
- Level 5 is required to complete the quest Combat Medic which is part of Jaeger’s survivalist path quest tree. This is required for the Kappa Secure Container and while it doesn’t lead to any subsequent quests the reputation gained from this quest can be helpful early.
- Level 3 vitality skill is also required for players to construct the level 3 medstation in their hideout.
As noted above both of these can be potential bottlenecks to progression for some players based on their playstyle while others will have no problem meeting the above quest and hideout requirements at the appropriate time.
Benefits of Vitality in Tarkov
Vitality provides the following PMC benefits:
- Decreases chance of bleeding
- Bleeding stops without medical treatment after a few seconds (Elite)
Of all the skills in Tarkov this makes vitality fairly lacklustre in comparison to the likes of strength or endurance and why it is never focused on by the community to reach max level with most players goal only to meet the quest and hideout requirements noted above.
Decreased chance of bleeding is a nice quality of life benefit though particularly with the heavy bleed mechanic now implemented in Tarkov which gives you one less emergency to deal with at the end of a fight and limits your loss of health during a fight.
While most players won’t reach the elite skill those that do won’t have to worry about healing their own bleeds that can save a few seconds every fight.
How to Level Vitality in Tarkov
Earning skill points in vitality requires players to:
- Take damage
- Completing quests (Ambulance +1 level and Combat Medic +0.02 level)
While on paper these vitality skill points don’t sound difficult in practice they can be quite slow unless focused on. This is because taking damage can quickly result in your PMC’s death particularly if you get headshot which is translates to few vitality skill points. If you aren’t a player the seeks fights regularly or prefer long ranged weapons you’ll also find this to be even more difficult.
This leaves players with the following options to level the vitality skill in Tarkov without cheesing the game mechanics:
- Bring in a significant amount of medical items that heal the player but do not cure bleeds (such as the AI-2 medikit, propital, adrenaline or eTG) and allow blood loss to continue after a fight as part of your normal raid adventures.
- Focus on taking as many fights as possible early on or play more factory while doing quests and other raid activities to slowly build up this skill in a natural but heightened manner.
For those that want to learn how to level vitality quickly and don’t mind performing some cheese style actions in Tarkov:
- Load into factory (lowest queue times) with a grenade and use it on yourself after the raid starts before healing to full and repeating.
- Bring a friend into a map (preferably a large one like Woods or Shoreline with places to hide) to damage each other and heal the damage with a Grizzly first aid kit. By using a melee weapon this can also double as a method to level your strength skills.
- Visit one of the fire or barbed wire locations in Tarkov and constantly damage yourself while healing with a Grizzly before repeating the process in another raid once you reach skill exhaustion (bringing a grenade can make this restart faster). Popular low traffic locations can be found in Shoreline in particular near Scav Tower and South Fence Passage as shown below: