Last Updated on Samuel Franklinby
Learn how to upgrade Tarkov edition with this guide to the account upgrade process that includes a step by step visual guide to claim your higher account rewards without resetting your account. With the large purchase price cost differences between Tarkov game versions many players test the game with a standard edition account before deciding to upgrade to higher a version to unlock exclusive benefits during a game sale.
These benefits include more starting stash space, extra starting equipment, larger secure containers and additional trader reputation that make your EFT experience slightly easier. In addition to the specific steps this guide answers some frequently asked questions about the upgrade process based on my own and community experiences upgrading between account versions. Refer to my comparison of different Tarkov editions for further information on the differences between purchase options.
How To Upgrade Tarkov Edition In Your Account
In order to complete a Tarkov upgrade edition to your account perform the following steps:
- Close the Escape From Tarkov game and launcher before proceeding to limit potential issues or delay in receiving your upgraded account items. It is also recommended to unequip your secure container (and remove all the items in it) from your PMC and place it into the stash as some Tarkov users (myself included) have experienced that the upgraded container was applied directly onto the PMC which resulted in the previous container being lost that players may prefer to keep. Other players in the community have reported receiving their new secure container through the mail system as intended although the criteria for this is unclear and might be related to; 1) being in a raid during the time the upgrade is applied on BattleStateGames server side or 2) having completed the Punisher quest lines for the Epsilon Secure Container (for reference I had not completed all these quests at the time of my account upgrade and my experience was a secure container overwrite). Regardless when it comes to account upgrades I recommend you apply the safety principle of unequipping your secure container as his prevents potential bugs and allows you to keep and/or sell your old secure container that could be potentially lost otherwise.
- Login to your account through the official Escape From Tarkov website and visit the pre-order page that you originally used to purchase the game. When logged in you’ll see the “you purchased this package” message under your current package.
- Scroll down to your desired account upgrade (such as EoD) and you’ll see the following which shows the price to upgrade. This price will depend on your current version and any applicable game sales.
- You’ll then see the below pop-up which describes how to access the additional items from the account upgrade. Once you confirm your age you’ll go through the same checkout process as your original purchase.
- After completing the above simply login to your Escape From Tarkov account (generally instant or within a few minutes) and claim your new items through the message system (same process as collecting insurance, flea market items/money or quest rewards). This will include all starting equipment differences between versions while other upgrades like stash space or trader reputation is automatically applied.
By following the above steps you will be able to complete an Escape From Tarkov upgrade without reset. As a Tarkov player, you’re probably aware that the game is still in beta, and bugs and issues are to be expected. Account upgrades might not happen instantly during peak times, avoid panicking or resetting your account. Some members of the Tarkov community have reported upgrades taking up to 24hrs and even 48hrs especially during periods of high server load or when the Tarkov account upgrade system is having issues (this is usually reported as an alert banner in the launcher).
FAQ For Tarkov Account Upgrades
Below is a list of common questions I have seen players ask regarding the account upgrade process:
- Can you upgrade your Tarkov edition? Yes, BattleStateGames allows all players to upgrade to a higher version in order to access differences between account versions. As this is always available I recommend players new to Tarkov always start with the Standard Edition to try the game for the lowest price possible.
- Can you upgrade Tarkov edition mid wipe? Yes, the upgrade process is available at any time regardless of the current wipe progress. I would avoid doing it at the start of the wipe though simply due to the load on the game servers which may result in players waiting for their upgrade to occur.
- Can I upgrade my Tarkov edition without reset? Yes, there is no reset account required to upgrade your account to a higher game version although this is always an option by logging into the official website.
- How much is it to upgrade? The upgrade price will vary based on your current and target game version and if there is a current sale. The best method to check is to login to your account on the official website and visit the pre-order page.
- Can you still buy Edge of Darkness (EoD)? The Tarkov EoD upgrade was a special beta game edition that was retired on 8th January 2024. This version included free access to the Escape From Tarkov: Arena, a season pass for all future DLCs and the Gamma Secure Container with 9 slots (3×3).
- Can I upgrade to Europe Version of Tarkov? Yes, upgrades to the EU region version which allows the game to be launched worldwide is available on the official pre-order page after logging in, you can read more about the CIS, EU and Other region classifications in this Tarkov support article.