Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is an adventure game with an impressive story and interesting list of mechanics. The game was released in late 2013 and is available on Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
The story follows the journey of two brothers (players control both characters) as they attempt to collect the powerful waters from the Tree of Life in order to save their father who has become very ill. Without their mother (who drowned some time ago) the boys are desperate to save their only remaining parent so they go out on a very epic and long adventure together.
This journey is an entirely linear experience and can take several hours for players to complete. It isn’t short on different locations though with players taken across a wide range of environments that are all equally as impressive to explore. While exploring these environments you’ll also encounter other people who may need your help. Without giving away anymore spoilers the ending in particular is something that you won’t expect and there are plenty of tear invoking moments throughout the whole game.
In terms of gameplay the mechanics are very simple but slowly evolve throughout your adventure which means you are constantly learning about new ways to use the brothers. The game is heavily focused around puzzles which come in a variety of types with mechanics rarely being used more than once during the game. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is designed to be played with a controller with each analog stick controlling one of the brothers.
Each brother has his own abilities that he can use for example the older brother is much taller and stronger than his little counterpart while the younger brother is perfect at receiving a boost from his older brother to reach higher points in the game world. NPCs will also react differently to each brother which makes the game feel a bit more realistic.
The journey waiting for you in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is top notch and the unique gameplay mechanics make this a must play for fans of adventure and puzzle games.
- A very impressive story.
- Interesting plot with several moments that might draw a tear.
- Solve countless puzzles using each of the brothers together
- Amazing immersion without a single piece of dialogue.
- Available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows.
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Humble Store)
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (iOS)
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Android)
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Microsoft Store – Xbox 360)
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Microsoft Store – Xbox One)
- Buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PlayStation Store)
Review Platform: PC