Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is an RPG developed by BioWare that was released in 2003 and takes place in the Star Wars universe.
The game was originally released for Windows and the Xbox (backwards compatible with the 360) but was re-released for iOS devices in May of 2013.
The game has obvious appeals to fans of Star Wars with the game having plenty of lore and history. KOTOR takes place several thousand years before the Star Wars movies but there are still plenty of recognisable characters, factions and planets for both the hardcore or casual fan of Star Wars. Ignoring the Star Wars appeal the game is an impressive science fiction role playing experience and is a nice change from the heavy number of medieval fantasy games in the genre.
Starting out in KOTOR players will choose one of the three available classes (soldier, scout or scoundrel) with players eventually also selecting one of the three available Jedi subclasses. This leaves plenty of combinations for players to create something that works for their preferred playstyle. Customisation doesn’t stop there though with players also gaining levels for stats, skills, feats and plenty of force powers.
An important aspect of the game and your success is the companions that you’ll add to your party (up to 2). You can choose to issue orders directly to them (great for tougher fights) or simply let them do as they please, for the most part the AI does handle itself very well. Outside of combat you’ll find they are also pretty chatty and generally used by the game to introduce quests and information to players.
Of course a Star Wars game wouldn’t be complete with the ability to move towards the light or dark side of the force. In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic your decisions will directly change how NPCs interact with you, the plot and even your appearance as the dark side of the force consumes you (or you resist the temptation).
If you need a break from medieval RPG settings and want to swap your sword and magic for a lightsaber and force powers KOTOR is your solution.
- Experience a great Star Wars RPG.
- Choose from several classes and subclasses.
- Select your companions and command them in battle.
- Level up a number of force powers.
- Watch your appearance change if you let the dark side consume you.
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (GOG)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Humble Store)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (iOS)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Android)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Amazon – Xbox)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Microsoft Store – Xbox 360)
- Buy Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Microsoft Store – Xbox One)
Review Platform: PC