The Bard’s Tale is a unique and quirky action role playing game that pokes fun at most of the stereotypes in fantasy RPGs. The game was originally released in 2004 on consoles (PlayStation 2 and Xbox) but eventually found its way to Windows and Mac (2009) with iOS and Android releases in 2012.
In the game you’ll take on the role of The Bard as he attempts to free the princess Caleigh. Players are never given any more information about their character other than his love for coin and women. Your journey as The Bard is narrated over by the narrator who doesn’t hide the fact that he doesn’t like you.
At the start of the game players are offered several difficulty options and can begin the character customisation aspect of the game by allocating their starting stat points. In The Bard’s Tale players have strength, vitality, luck, dexterity, charisma and rhythm stats.
Players can also choose a talent to help define their playstyle at the start of the game with options including two handed weapons, dual wielding, treasure hunter and a few others. Players can unlock additional talents every few levels after the game starts.
During the game you’ll control your customisable character from an overhead perspective as they go about doing all the normal things involved in a role playing game from destroying barrels, completing quests and dispatching enemies.
Overall The Bard’s Tale is a fun experience that fans of the genre will enjoy for the way it pokes fun at it.
- A solid action RPG that is available on plenty of platforms.
- Pokes fun at the genre to make for a light-hearted experience.
- Good character customisation with stats and traits.
- Some fun plot twists that catch you by surprise.
- A classic in the genre.
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (GOG)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (Humble Store)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (Amazon – Xbox)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (Amazon – PS2)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (iOS)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (Android)
- Buy The Bard’s Tale (PlayStation Store)
Review Platform: PC