Last Updated on Samuel Franklinby
How To Play Escape From Tarkov Offline Mode Guide
Learn how to play Escape From Tarkov offline mode which offers an invaluable training ground for new EFT players. In this guide I’ll detail how to access offline mode, the available options and the best methods to use the mode to improve your Tarkov skills and map knowledge along with some challenges for even the veteran player. The offline game mode is also a fantastic opportunity for players to tweak their game keybinds or PostFX settings to ensure Tarkov is set to their preferences when it counts in a real raid.
The Tarkov offline game mode often goes unnoticed or underappreciated by the new player and serves as the perfect method to practice PvE without fear of your losing your loot or the threat from experienced players. While Escape Form Tarkov offline mode does not allow you to keep loot you acquire, experience gained or play with friends (if you don’t have Edge of Darkness edition) it shouldn’t be overlooked.
Escape From Tarkov How To Play Offline
Loading into offline mode in Tarkov requires only a few simple steps and is similar to loading into a real raid:
- Load Escape From Tarkov from the game launcher and click “Escape From Tarkov” on the main menu.
- Select your PMC character (make sure they have any equipment you want to bring into raid) and click Next.
- Select the map and time you want to play, all maps are available for offline mode although players will need a Labs keycard to enter Labs (this will not be consumed in offline mode though) and click Next.
- On the offline raid test mode screen click the “Enable OFFLINE mode for this raid” which will unlock several customisable options and click Next. More information on each of these options will be detailed further below.
- Click ready on the confirmation screen and you’ll load into an offline raid.
Escape From Tarkov Offline Mode Options
As pictured above the offline mode in Escape From Tarkov has many customisable options. Each of these is explained below and can be configured as desired to create the ideal offline mode experience for your goals.
- Random weather conditions: Changes the weather on the map to random which impacts visibility and rain. If not selected your offline mode will mimic the current weather of the server.
- Random time: Allows you to randomly change the time of the raid. Given the option to select two different raid times this is rarely useful for offline mode.
- Enable PvE: The most important setting in offline mode which activates AI bots (Scavs) in your raid.
- AI Difficulty: Gives players the ability to customise the difficulty of the AI that spawn. As online will give you the same experience as an online raid (approximately equivalent to medium) with hard and impossible offering a higher challenge. In addition to powerful AI the impossible setting improves Scav equipment by giving them grenades consistently.
- AI Amount: Effects the amount of Scavs that spawn on the map with as online again being approximately medium. Note that Horde mode spawns a significant number of Scavs and on larger maps you will need a significant computer CPU to run this option.
- Enable Bosses: Activates the map specific boss and their minions, this is a 100% spawn chance option in offline mode.
- Scav War: Makes AI Scavs shoot each other in your offline raid which can give your raid an element of realism as you’ll hear distant gun shots.
- Tagged and Cursed: Activates the tagged and cursed mechanic which means Scavs will actively hunt the player aggressively and know their general location. This is the same mechanic used in online raids when players enter with no items.
Escape From Tarkov Offline Practice Options
Using offline mode effectively is a fantastic opportunity for new and intermediate players to improve their Tarkov gameplay and something I’ve personally used regularly on my path to obtaining Kappa Secure Container. Here are some useful ideas on how to use the EFT offline mode from beginner to advanced:
Map and extract knowledge: The most obvious use of offline mode in Tarkov is learning the map locations and how to extract. I recommend new players start here and don’t activate PvE at first so you can focus on learning with a map by using the Tarkov wiki on your phone or second screen to guide you. To make running around larger maps easier you can purchase SJ6 stimulants if you have unlocked the flea market.
AI combat practice: Once you understand the maps players can use the enable PvE option to start fighting against Scavs and learning their spawn locations. This is also a great way to test specific guns and players should ensure they bring the necessary amount of your best ammo and medical items to survive as you’ll likely hang around a long time in raid.
Boss challenge: Once players are confident with the map and fighting regular Scavs you can challenge yourself to fight the various map bosses who are more difficult than your average Scav and have unique mechanics attached.
Horde Factory: For the ultimate challenge players can turn on horde AI amount and pair it with Factory to see how long you can survive the onslaught from Scavs as you try to survive the full raid timer. For more difficulty players can increase the AI difficulty, activate tagged and cursed or simply enter with basic armour and other gear.
Escape From Tarkov Offline Mode With Friends
While it was not possible to play with friends in offline mode in the past BattleStateGames added this feature in patch 12.12.30 (June 2022). This feature is currently limited to Edge of Darkness edition players only although may change in the future. This mode retains the current offline limitations which means you cannot keep loot or experience. Players can select spawn locations though which allows you to either start as a group or separately on the map.