Last Updated on Samuel Franklinby
Researching how to level strength for hideout upgrades or looking to go all the way to elite (max) level for the raid benefits of extra carry weight and movement speed? There are a number of effective ways to level your strength skill in Tarkov with the best results from players starting early for steady progress each raid. This method also ensures you’ll have the strength required to construct vents level 3 in the hideout.
As with all physical skills in Escape From Tarkov players should optimise the levelling process by using the FP-100 Filter Absorber in your air filtering unit and familiarise themselves with the levelling speed limits of Tarkov that are described on the EFT wiki.
How to Level Strength in Tarkov
Earning skill points in strength requires:
- Throwing grenades
- Melee weapon hits
- Walking or sprinting while carrying more than approximately half your maximum carry weight (indicated by a yellow weight number)
- Working out in the hideout gym and successfully completing quick time events
- Completing specific quests (Escort: +1 level)
Some players in the Tarkov community will occasionally work with a friend to attack each other with melee weapons and then heal the damage although this cheese tactic is boring and not something I recommend on your path to max level strength as it slows your overall account progression. While players will gain some strength passively once when they start bringing grenades in their loadout the main method to acquire strength consistently over the long term is using the hideout gym and being close to maximum carry weight.
The gym is relatively straight forward and players should use this every day until fatigued given the easy strength gains once constructed. Prior to this or as another source when pushing for maximum level players will want to optimise their carry weight as it is both practical and a cost effective solution to Tarkov strength levelling. Early game this will likely occur naturally as full loadout kits will increase your weight into the yellow range but will need more attention as your strength and thus maximum carry weight grows.
There are a number of methods available to gain the extra weight at a low per raid cost or a reusable investment and players can also add a SJ6 combat stimulant to offset the additional weight although that has extra cost. The two options I recommend based on my experiences, ease of use and Rouble investment required are:
- Filling up document cases with Technical Documentation or SAS Drives which have significant individual item weight and can sit safely in your secure container for use raid after raid. This method is more accessible to those with larger secure containers (such as Edge of Darkness players with their Gamma) as it does sacrifice secure container space. While the initial cost is significant it’s something you don’t need to think about once setup and viable throughout the entire wipe which is why it is my favourite.
- Alternatively you can start each raid with a stack of cheap shotgun shell ammo (such as the 12x70mm Buckshot from Jaeger) in your backpack and then dropping them as you acquire loot during the raid. Players can also purchase one of the heavy Tarkov armours for their backpack and drop this as required. By using a destroyed low tier armour with high weight (such as the Module-3M, MF-UNTAR, 6B23-1 or 6B13) you’ll ensure it comes back the majority of the time through insurance and is cheap to insure. Having to remember to constantly do this though can be a bit of annoyance and why I prefer the documents case method above personally.
Strength Requirements (Quest & Hideout)
Strength in Tarkov is used for the following:
- Level 2 strength is required for players to construct level 3 vents in the hideout.
Benefits of Strength in Tarkov
Strength provides the following PMC benefits:
- Reduces the stamina drain when aiming down sights of weapons.
- Increases player jump height, carry weight, melee attack power, movement speed and grenade throw distance.
- Guns no longer count towards player weight limit (Elite)
- Critical melee damage chance (Elite)
While the extra attack power and critical chance are worthless in practice strength in Tarkov also has some of the most powerful rewards for skill levels. From being able to hold angles for longer aimed down the sights of your gun, rush to loot spawns faster, flank enemies at speed or simply carry out more loot these are significant in raid to raid gameplay. If you’re watching your favourite Twitch streamer (like Pestily) and wondering how they move so quickly through the map you’ve likely seen the dramatic effect the strength skill can have on your gameplay.